Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Outer Banks Weekend

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Crab leg !


This picture is for Jim...he stayed here on a surf trip during his bachelor days


House in Rodanthe where Nights at Rodanthe was filmed

After the half marathon

Band at finish of half marathon (downtown Manteo)



catching tons of little frogs at the lighthouse



Oh my! What a fabulous weekend!! Headed to Outer Banks for the Half Marathon. I had registered for this race this past summer when we were still in Utah. I figured it would give us a good excuse to drive the 5 hrs. to the Outer Banks. We stayed at Nags Head Beach Hotel (AKA Travelodge ha ha) It was actually a great place to stay. Very short walk to beach, friendly hotel staff, breakfast included and good location to start of race. Also right next to Jockey's Ridge and Wright Bros. Museum.

We only had 2 days and had a hard time choosing what to do. You could easily spend a few days there even in off season! We decided to head to Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Hour drive each way from our hotel, but wonderfully scenic drive!! The lighthouse is closed for climbing this time of year but we were able to go into the base. There were tons of baby frogs in the grass surrounding the lighthouse and catching frogs is probably what the kids remember most about the lighthouse...LOL.

Right next to the lighthouse is an incredible beach where we spent half the day. Its breathtaking with a jetty, surfers, fisherman, sea spray and view of the lighthouse. Kids loved playing around the jetty and getting sprayed by incoming waves. Lunch at Angelo's (gosh, already forgot name but I think that's it) Great little pizza place right by lighthouse- diner theme and arcade for the kids, decent food too.

Then back to hotel for R & R. Toby & I ventured to the race expo to pick up my packet while Jim & Arielle took another walk on the beach. Expo was OK, smaller than St. George and not as many freebies. The race organizers did give out a cool pirate themed swag bag though. Saturday night out to dinner at an artsy little vegetarian friendly place (Rundown Cafe). Well- veggie stuff for Jim & I, kids opted for crab & calamari!


Next day was the Outer Banks Half Marathon. Could not have asked for better weather. I absolutely LOVED this race. Out of the 35+ races I have run, this was one of the top 5 for sure. Course was a gorgeous variety of coastline, marina, golf course, neighborhoods, highway and bridge. Mostly flat course except for big bridge at mile 10. Could not have ordered better weather! Mid 50s & sunny- PERFECT for racing. The finish line party was super fun in cute little downtown Manteo. They gave out nice perks at finish too like an ice cold towel and free visor. Would love to do this race again. Hopefully the race site will publisher pictures soon. I think they got a funny one with me & one of the "pirates".

Great little family weekend away. We LOVE the Outer Banks!

3 comments:

Mik'L said...

Looks so pretty and fun! Great job on the half! You are rockin it! Your kids sure are cuties!

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

Such cool pictures! I am so glad that you had such a great time. I am for sure in on the mistletoe so send in your form!

Aaron and Melissa said...

I am a very proud friend!!! I am still in awe that you ran a half and have ran THAT many races. It looks like you guys had fun!! We need to see the lighthouse the next time we go.